[3dprinter-general] slic3r REMOVED from testing

Rock Storm rockstorm at gmx.com
Thu Jun 29 20:20:03 BST 2023

On Thu, 2023-06-29 at 08:51 +0200, Gregor Riepl wrote:
> It looks like the original slic3r seems to be dead upstream?
> They didn't react to the issue I created in response to the Debian CVE
> bug: https://github.com/slic3r/Slic3r/issues/5162
>
> Does it make sense to keep this package in Debian?
> Is there any advantage with respect to slic3r-prusa?
>
> If not, I vote for removing slic3r from Debian, and maybe creating a
> transitional package slic3r -> slic3r-prusa (provided that they're
> compatible).

Well, PrusaSlicer is a fork from Slic3r. Nowadays it is way ahead of
Slic3r feature-wise. Configuration-wise I don't think they save same
stuff at same locations any more. So I don't think Prusa's can be a
direct replacement.

I've personally been using PrusaSlicer over Slic3r since many years now
but still popcon shows way more installs of old Slic3r [1] than
PrusaSlicer [2]. So the package is not dead? Or users haven't made that
transition yet?

I maintain `printrun` which currently recommends `slic3r` but I'd be
more than happy to recommend `prusa-slicer` instead to be honest.

[1]: https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=slic3r
[2]: https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=slic3r-prusa

Regards,

--