[Amavisd-new-debian-devel] [adam at adam-barratt.org.uk: Re: transitional package question]

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Mon Nov 29 02:33:39 UTC 2010

On 29 November 2010 06:03, Harald Jenny <harald at a-little-linux-box.at> wrote:
> it seems like debian-release does not think it's a good idea to provide a
> transition package from amavisd-new-milter to amavisd-milter, does anybody have
> some good arguments or should I drop the idea? Btw, currently amavisd-milter
> only breaks amavisd-new-milter, should I modify this to includes Provides: and
> Replaces: too?

I guess the sticking point is that the configuration is not backwards
compatible.

It seems like if manual intervention is required to do the upgrade
anyway, it might be better to be conservative and stick to the
"safest" route.

Maybe an empty transitional package without the depends that has a
news item that says the upgrade must be done manually????
--
Brian May <brian at microcomaustralia.com.au>