[Amavisd-new-debian-devel] Converting amavisd-new repo to git

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Jun 7 15:39:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Brian May schrieb am Tuesday, den 07. June 2011:
> > On 22 May 2011 17:56, Alexander Wirt <formorer at formorer.de> wrote:
> > > as it seems I am - more or less - the only persons that maintains amavisd-new
> > > nowadays. Amavisd-new is currently my last package that uses mecurial,
> > > everything else moved to git. So if nobody objects I'll convert the mercurial
> > > repo to git. Maybe using standard tool helps in getting fresh blood into the
> > > packaging.
> >
> > Somehow I managed to miss this email. Oops.
> >
> > Anyway, I am happy with the change to git. More of my projects now use
> > git, so I am more familiar with it then before.
> >
> > Have you made the move? Where can I find the git repository?
> On my laptop: yes. On alioth: as soon as you make an admin of the project :).

Done.

And everyone which was just Admin is now both Admin and Senior
Developer.

Please make sure when you do the initial push to the git repo, to do it
in such a way that it will handle more than one git tree.

Bonus points if the git tree has all previously released packages in it,
and the full (or cleaned up, whatever) history from hg.

IME, full history in the git repo can be very very handy in a few years
from now if you ever find yourself in need to discover WHEN some change
was introduced, etc.  Been there, got saved by history logs and git
blame output finding important stuff commited > 5 years ago in the
Cyrus-IMAP packages, and >3 years ago in the kernel
thinkpad-acpi/ibm-acpi driver.

  Henrique Holschuh