[Aptitude-devel] What I'm really missing in aptitude / synaptic

MNO manostienen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 09:42:21 UTC 2007

Dear readers,

i hope this is the right place to post this request.

What I'm really missing in aptitude / synaptic is:

- a file dump of all the installed packages + the /etc/apt/sources.list.
- a way to import the above files (from my personal website) so that i
can install all those packages with a few simple commands.
- an add on that can collect all my config files.

This to be able to install my own preferred setup, where ever i roam,
to be able to deploy similar systems, or simply as a sort of backup
but without backing op the actual system, since the files are always
the same. And this would also provide some protection from malicious
software of being included in a backup.

To me it seems like a fairly simple add on that would make Debian a
lot more user friendly.
It would for instance give Ubuntu a functionality that Windows never
can. It could make a perfect clean install for a new machine.

Would this be possible?

Kind regards,

MNO.