[Aptitude-devel] aptitude 0.6.6-1 available on mentors.d.n

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:30:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

2012/3/28 Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com>:
> Using pbuilder with export I am getting the same problems during
> configure, but it happens at different stages each time.  I am trying
> to sort this out now and will prepare a -2 release when I have it
> cleared.
>
> FTR I have seen it fail here:
>
> checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: in
> `/tmp/buildd/aptitude-0.6.6/build-curses':
> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
>
> and, in another run, the previous check passed and it failed later:
>
> checking whether ept/axi exists... no
> configure: error: in `/tmp/buildd/aptitude-0.6.6/build-curses':
> configure: error: Can't figure out how to access the ept Xapian database.
>
> so.. quite strange.

You will have to look at config.log inside the pbuilder, I suppose.

Also I'm sure that if you contact people in the hardening front you'll
find help quickly: in my experience they're fast, enthusiastic and
helpful, and they probably be delighted to build-harden one of the
biggies of Debian :)

More info, in the case that you're interested...  It turns out that my
description yesterday about PIE/PIC is quite simplistic/inaccurate, I
think that this explains it better and it's easier to understand:
http://www.airs.com/blog/archives/549

This is the reason why it's not enabled by default:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/dpkg-buildflags.1.html

"This is not compatible with -fPIC so care  must  be  taken  when
building shared objects.

Additionally,  since  PIE is implemented via a general register, some
architectures  (most  notably  i386)  can  see  performance losses  of
 up  to  15%  in  very text-segment-heavy application workloads; most
workloads see less than 1%.  Architectures  with more  general
registers (e.g. amd64) do not see as high a worst-case penalty."

Cheers.