[Babel-users] RTT-aware branch of Babel

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:23:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Henning Rogge <hrogge at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Whats your experience how stable the RTT of a wireless link is?

It is pretty wildly variable. Powersave mode alone can induce 200ms of
latency. Loaded links can exhibit tens of seconds of latency under
load.

This is somewhat mitigated by the multicast queue being separated from
the main queues on some hardware. Further mitigated by stuff like
fq_codel and some upcoming driver work (on some hardware) But I would
expect current real world wifi networks to display "interesting" RTT
behavior.

Is there a way to extract the RTT from the babel monitoring ability?
or some other means (sounds like a wireshark decoder is in order)

one side effect of fq_codel I'm aware of is that the first packet in a
stream will tend to be delivered faster than the second and
succeeding, due to the "sparse stream" optimization.