[Babel-users] RTT-aware branch of Babel

Henning Rogge hrogge at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 21 17:53:51 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Henning Rogge <hrogge at googlemail.com> wrote:
> At the lowest timescale possible on a given link you are
> either at capacity 1 or 0.

Same problem for packetloss based metrics in mesh networks. They are
awful to measure unless a link has lots of traffic (or you generate
lots of probing traffic).

> I need to get around to monitoring packet drops better via mrtg in
> particular and add some more instrumentation to the kernel as to when
> and why they happen...

The mac80211 driver gives you at least some statistics on how much
traffic dropped (and on some wifi drivers how many retransmissions
happened).

> And I keep wondering about what traffic on wifi "really" looks like in
> relation to this wonderful, old, paper, that has embedded itself in
> many a conciousness...

I would say it looks very chaotic.

Its the bane of every routing metric in a mesh... how to get the
metric both stable enough to be useful and fast enough to be useful.

Henning Rogge

--
We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to