[Babel-users] Babeld Team ID ( AS number like )

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Mar 24 16:52:29 UTC 2013

> > So we thinked that it would be very useful if Babeld would suppert
> > a "team id" similar to AS number so we can just puts a line like
> > in team_id roman_routers_team_id deny and then set the same
> > team_id for every babeld router in rome

I strongly sympathise with your desire to drop Roman routes.  Forza Juve!

> This would require extending the protocol to send team-id in addition to
> router-id.

Hmm... yes, but it could be done in a backwards-compatible manner, by
adding a new route attribute.  The compatibility would not be perfect,
as old nodes would discard the new attribute, so a route learned
through an old router would appear as having no attribute.

If we do that -- a few questions.  How do we call the new attribute?
Team-id is a little too specific, I've got a mind to call it the
"opaque attribute", or, following BGP, the community id.

What should the new attribute be like?  Should it be a 16-bit integer,
a 32-bit integer, a 64-bit bytestring, or a bytestring of arbitrary
length?  Should it have internal structure?  Should multiple opaque
attributes be allowed for a single route?  Should it be explicitly
marked as transitive, as in BGP, or is that overkill?

What configuration syntax would you like?  Perhaps something like

  in opaque "A.S. Roma" deny

or

  in community "A.S. Roma" deny

Opinions?  Criticisms?  Patches?