[Babel-users] ad-hoc networks behave like mesh using babel?

Harshal Vora harshal at amideeptech.com
Wed Jan 8 05:57:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

I tested babeld with a few moving wifi hosts all connected to each other
via an ad-hoc network.
Most of the times the routing table seems to be set up correctly along
with default gateway being propagated to all the hosts, even those which
are not in direct connection with the gateway.

But on few occasions, it inserts negative routes with Flag set to !H and
metric set to -1 for hosts which are in direct range of each other.
For ex. consider host A and host B.
Host A will have correct routing table for Host B, but host B will have
routing table entry with flag !H.
Both the hosts are not able to ping each other although there might be
host C which has correct routing table entry for both A and B in both
directions and will be able to communicate with A and B.

These negative routes remain persistent until i restart babeld and
sometimes until i reboot the host.
Shouldn't it be auto-corrected? Is there any way to fix this?

Also, is it possible to redistribute routes added with proto kernel or
boot?
This is required mainly to distribute routes for internet gateway that
are assigned by dhcp on ethernet port.
Generally in a plug and play environment for sensors I don't want to
explicitly specify the gateway of the router and the route for default
access with proto static.

Regards,