[Babel-users] ANNOUNCE: babelweb-0.4.0

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Mon Jun 2 20:08:02 UTC 2014

> It "just worked" on my beaglebone black (running babels),

Cool.  Why not put it on the interwebs?

> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/babelweb.png

Heh.  Your node only has one neighbour, so Babelweb is unable to extract
enough topology information from the routing tables.  For more fun, you
should be running Babelweb on a more central node.

For even more fun, have Babelweb monitor multiple nodes.  Since (for
security reasons) babeld only accepts monitoring from the local host,
you're going to need to set up some tunnelling somewhere.

The way Gabriel set it up, we run Babelweb as

  babelweb routers="[::1]:33123,192.168.4.39:1234"

and 192.168.4.39 creates a security hole by doing

  socat TCP-LISTEN:1234,fork,reuseaddr TCP6:[::1]:33123

The alternative would be to create a secure tunnel using ssh (which is
what we used to do), but we actually like having security holes[1].

The plan is to combine the data from both routers in a single graph at
some point in the future, but for now we just let the user choose.  See
the result on

  http://babelweb.wifi.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/

-- Juliusz

[1] When I last changed flats, and before I got myself an ADSL line, I was
    very grateful[2] to all the nice people who leave their wifi routers
    with ESSID "Netgear".  Leaving the administrator password at the
    factory configured default is helpful for people who need to set up
    port forwardings.

[2] Being the grateful person that I am, I used to[3] run my (heavily
    firewalled, token bucketed and fc-codeled) OpenWRT box with a wifi
    passphrase that all of my neighbours knew.  I wasn't logging anything,
    of course, and I never looked at the actual traffic, but I did monitor
    the port numbers on a few occasions -- almost all was HTTP and Skype,
    plus some weird fixed-rate TCP on random ports that was probably
    streaming video (not enough peers for P2P).  And of course the usual
    NetBios and Zeroconf noise, that was being shot by the firewall.

[3] Used to.  IP over UMTS is very cheap in France nowadays, and a year
    ago the amount of traffic dropped to zero.  So I changed the password,
    and nobody complained.