[Babel-users] Bable vs Linux Mesh mode.

The Doctor drwho at virtadpt.net
Wed Nov 19 18:53:39 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 09:07 AM, Dave Taht wrote:

>> Because it works at the network layer, Babel is not entirely
>> transparent -- DHCP, IPv6 autoconf and DNS-SD don't work for
>> Babel nodes.  That's why we need AHCP or HNCP, and DNS-SD
>> proxies.
> Um, er. "Doesn't work?"

Agreed.  That assertion is incorrect.  We had DHCP and DNS-SD working
quite well on Babel meshes.  DNS-SD proxies were not required, nor was
any software other than a correctly configured copy of dnsmasq.

> Juliusz: I think what you are thinking about is on meshy (ad-hoc)
> p2p wifi networks,

Nope, worked for that pretty well, too..  The only reason Project
Byzantium migrated to OLSRd was because we needed interoperability
with Commotion Wireless in a hurry after Hurricane Sandy.

> This is easy - if you are using isc dhcp you just disable fetching
> the dhcp routing parameter in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf,  on openwrt,
> on dhcp enabled nodes, you put in a defaultroute 0 for that
> network stanza.

ISC DHCP is overkill for a network like this, though.  It certainly
puts more of a strain on the mesh nodes themselves.

> I do this all the time.... it is maddening that things like
> NetworkManager insist on thinking I only want one interface up at
> a time, however, so I end up doing stuff in
> /etc/network/interfaces

NetworkManager... <sigh>

- --
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]