[Babel-users] Fwd: ahcpd ntp_server option

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Feb 11 22:07:02 UTC 2015

> Out of interest, what are the faults with openntpd as a client?

As a client, it fails to synchronise time on hardware on which ntpd and
chrony work just fine.  (I've contacted the developers, they told me my
hardware is buggy.)  It also has no protection against falsetickers
whatsoever -- it will happily select whichever server has the least packet
loss, even if it announces completely bogus time.

As a server, it's more serious -- it announces zero dispersion, which
could in principle cause other clients to spuriously prefer it to more
precise sources.  (Earlier versions announced zero stratum, which could
cause synchronisation loops, but that particular bug has thankfully been
fixed.)