[Babel-users] babeld and systemd [was: babeld wishlist]

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Fri Feb 12 10:50:24 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 06:55:38PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > Type=forking
> > PIDFile=/run/babeld-%I.pid
> > ExecStart=/usr/bin/babeld -D -I /run/babeld-%I.pid -S /var/lib/babel-state-%I -c /etc/babeld-%I.conf %I
>
> Please don't do that, Toke -- there's no need.  Please use "Type=simple",
> and remove -D and -I, which are only there to support System V init.

Good catch, thanks.  I have updated the systemd service file in the
Archlinux package to use Type=simple.

Is it possible to tell babeld *not* to write a PID file at all?  Passing
"-I /dev/null" does not work, babeld complains that the file already
exists.

This is necessary to use the "automatic restart in case of failure"
feature of systemd, using e.g. "restart=on-failure".  Currently, if babeld
crashes, it leaves its PID file in place, and categorically refuses to
start again.