[Babel-users] babeld and systemd [was: babeld wishlist]

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sun Feb 14 01:42:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 03:09:55PM +0100, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org> writes:
>
> > Thanks, that did the trick!  I have updated the service file to restart
> > babeld automatically in case of failure, if somebody is interested:
>

> Awesome! Any chance of also including a 'babeld at .service' file to easily
> run babeld on a single interface without editing the configuration file? :)

You mean, in the Arch package, in addition to the regular service file?

By the way, the service file you posted earlier *does* require editing a
configuration file, /etc/babeld-%I.conf :)

  ExecStart=/usr/bin/babeld -D -I /run/babeld-%I.pid -S /var/lib/babel-state-%I -c /etc/babeld-%I.conf %I

Should we just tell babeld not to use any configuration file in this case?

Otherwise, we could just use /etc/babeld.conf, but we might end up with
babeld running on multiple interfaces even though the user only started
e.g. babeld at eth0...  It would feel weird.  Also, I don't know what would
happen if multiple instances of babeld run on the same interface.  For
instance, what if somebody puts this in /etc/babeld.conf:

  interface eth0
  interface eth1

and starts both babeld at eth0 and babeld at eth1?  Both babeld instances would
run on both interfaces.

Any thoughts on this?