[Babel-users] IPv4: Default Route stability

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Feb 21 13:52:25 UTC 2016

>> Hysteresis is applied to route selection.  The amount of hysteresis is
>> controlled with the parameter smoothing-half-life (-M), 4s by default.
>> Increase this parameter to have higher stability at the cost of slower
>> convergence.

> We're going to experiment with that.

Cool, please report your conclusions on the list.

The hysteresis algorithm is described in Section III.E of

  http://arxiv.org/pdf/1403.3488v1.pdf

The default value (4s) is very conservative -- you should be able to
increase it quite a bit (say to 16s or so) with little visible effect on
convergence speed.  But I haven't done enough experimentation to be sure.