[Babel-users] sending rtt always on 1.8?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Mon Mar 28 19:03:09 UTC 2016

> what harm would there be to always timestamping, rather than
> optionally, in the 1.8 release?

Arguments in favour:

  - Dave likes it;
  - it wouldn't harm to add it to the default metric.

Arguments against:

  - it requires two extra calls to clock_gettime for each packet sent,
    which is expensive on MIPS before kernel 4.5 and musl 1.1.13;
  - it adds 8 octets to each HELLO and IHU TLV;
  - it might cause oscillations in topologies we didn't envision;
  - it adds another moving piece;
  - it's not an RFC.

So I'm hesitating.  I'll probably wait until 4.5 and 1.1.13 are in OpenWRT
and have been deployed.