[Babel-users] OT: WebRTC, chat and Go [was: a babeld 1.9.x...]

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Sun Apr 12 19:20:46 BST 2020

> you are welcome to a subdomain off of any domain I have (taht.net, teklibre.*).

After my experience with the University, I'd rather use a domain that
I control.  I just need a good name, j.ch would be the obvious choice, but
it looks like Switzerland doesn't give out one-letter domains ;-)

> babeld.net seems to be available. For servers I use linode worldwide.
> I have a server in germany I don't use much, I can recreate it on your
> behalf wit distro of choice. A $5/mo nanode is unsuitable for this
> (100mbit), the $20/mo server overkill, but...

I think there's a misunderstanding.  The chat software I just published is
almost purely peer-to-peer: the load on the server is minimal.  The whole
point of the exercice was to design something that can be easily deployed
on a 30€ ARM board while being reasonably secure.

So there's no issue with finding a server (I'm with Antonin on this one,
I'm a fan of OVH), the issue is in finding a suitable domain name.

> If you're stuck on a name for "unnamed" gowebrtc is taken.... (looks
> like useful code)

Unnamed is not using any WebRTC, since all the WebRTC traffic is between
peers (the peers communicate with the server over a boring Websocket).
I've got some experiments lying around that I've done with pion, they've
made some remarkable progress recently:

  https://github.com/pion/webrtc