[Babel-users] Unable to get ping successfully

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at irif.fr
Tue Mar 8 14:31:33 GMT 2022

> The setup is made using Raspberry Pi with USB Wi-Fi dongle. The Wi-Fidevices
> are placed into ad-hoc mode with the following commands:
>      sudo ip link set wlan1 down
>      sudo iwconfig wlan1 mode ad-hoc channel 11 essid "mesh"
>      sudo ip link set up dev wlan1

Did the link layers associate?  Typing « iwconfig » should indicate the
same BSSID on both stations, and typing « iw dev wlan1 station dump »
should show you the other station.

> * here I am having an error saying it cannot find the generate-ipv6-address

If the stations associate, a link-local ddress should in principle appear
automatically -- generate-ipv6-address is normally only required on
non-broadcast interfaces (such as some kinds of tunnels or VPNs).  At any
rate, you may find it on my website, as indicated by Antonin.