[Babel-users] MTU based routing for tunnel based babel networks?

David Schinazi dschinazi.ietf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 23:37:14 BST 2023

Hi Juliusz,

While you're absolutely right that this MUST NOT happen, in practice it
does. A rare scenario is when routes change deep in a network causing the
e2e PMTU to change without the link MTU on the endpoints observing any
change. This phenomenon happens much more commonly on tunnels when the
tunnel takes a new path (e.g., moving IKEv2/IPsec to a different underlying
interface via RFC 4555) - in that scenario the endpoint experiencing the
migration (e.g. the cell phone) knows that something changed but the e2e
peer does not. In IPv4 this can be (poorly) solved by in-network
fragmentation, but that's not allowed in v6.

If Babel were to magically know the MTU of its interfaces (including
tunnels), it would make sense to consider that information as part of route
metrics. The remaining question is where to perform the PMTUD, it feels
like the responsibility of the tunnel but could also be reused across
different tunnel types.

[ ... an hour passes by with this email half written ... ]

Oh, and in the meantime Juliusz just went ahead and implemented probe-mtu.
Nicely done, sir! Looking at the PR it validates that the kernel-provided
MTU gets through the network. I wonder if that breaks popular tunnel
implementations today, as I suspect many don't set that correctly.

David