[Cupt-devel] Some comments from a first time user

Ole Laursen olau at hardworking.dk
Fri Aug 31 14:06:51 UTC 2012

Hi!

Just tried cupt for the first time today, I'm so far impressed. :)

It proceeded to uninstall a big bunch of auto-installed stuff that
Aptitude had kept, presumably because of a difference in how soft
dependencies are handled? Or perhaps because of loops, I'm not sure
Aptitude handles those correctly. It was slightly worrisome, mostly
because there were so many.

Otherwise, I've noticed two things so far:

* the "cupt help" output isn't terribly easy to read, I think the main
problem is that the great many entries are alphabetically sorted
rather than grouped by function (perhaps with some newline spaces
sprinkled)

* couldn't you fold dist-upgrade into the normal full-upgrade by
automatically detecting there's a new version of cupt/dpkg? - one less
thing to document and one less thing for users to remember

I'm curious to see where this goes, although I guess multiarch support
would have to land first. The first thing I do on a new Debian system
is installing aptitude to get auto-install support, but I'll think
I'll try cupt instead in the future.

If I had more time, it could be fun looking into a minimal browsing
front end, the one in Aptitude is powerful but also weird in many
ways, and looks like it's possible to build something simple in a
short time with cupt.

Ole