[Debian-handbook-translators] Insufficient ISBN set for ebooks?

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Tue Jul 28 09:07:48 BST 2020

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> The way I understand the ISBN system, each ebook format, say mobi or
> epub, need to have their own ISBN number.  In the english original,
> there is only set aside one ISBN number for 'ebook', which do not
> specify format.  Why is this?

Because it seems useless to have different ISBN numbers for the same content
with the same presentation.

The ISBN logic is to have a different number as soon as something changes:
paper layout, ebook format, minor content change, etc.

I don't want to follow that path and with all the intermediary versions
published on the web, there's no way to follow the rules properly. So I
tick to two ISBN per release, one for the paperback and one for the
ebooks.

If you have a compelling reasons to document more ISBN numbers for the
ebooks, let me know but even for publication through retail stores (via
immateriel.fr), I never had to provide one ISBN for each format.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁