[Debian-handbook-translators] Questions regarding certain texts in the Debian Administrator Handbook

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Sun Feb 6 17:08:24 GMT 2022

Hello Matthew,

sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2022, Matthew Buchanan wrote:
> Hi my name is Matthew Buchanan Astley and I just started translating the
> Debian Administrator Handbook into Dutch, I quess this is the correct list
> to ask questions regarding the interpretation of certain bits?

Well, it's the only place mailing list dedicated to the book. So I would
say yes.

> "The Debian constitution also offers other guarantees for their stability: a
> three-quarters qualified majority is required to approve any amendment."
>
> How is qualified to be interpreted? As in 3/4 debian developers contrary to
> 3/4 users?

It's a voting term that means you need more than a simple majority (of
50%) you need a qualified majority of 75%. It's not related to the status
of the voters at all.

> "-->The number of projects will most likely continue to grow with time and
> improved perception of the advantages of Debian sub-projects. <--
>
> Fully supported by the existing Debian infrastructure, they can, in effect,
> focus on work with real added value, without worrying about remaining
> synchronized with Debian, since they are developed within the project."
>

> What about this:
>
> "The number of projects will most likely continue to grow with time and
> hopefully this improves the visibility of the advantages of Debian
> sub-projects. Fully supported by the existing Debian infrastructure, users
> can, in effect, focus on work with real added value, without worrying about
> remaining synchronized with Debian, since development happens within the
> project"

This would change the logic: it's the "improved perception of the advantages"
that results in the growth of the number of sub-projects.

But I agree that the original sentence is a bit hard to parse.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁