[Debian-in-workers] Re: GTK frontend update and maybe time for an experimental netinst cd?

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Sun Sep 11 14:41:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Christian Perrier wrote:

>> Here is the current list of fonts on my system.
>>
>> ttf-indic-fonts					install
>
> That one is both the source package of all fonts....and a virtual
> binary package, depending on all others.
>
> The source package is maintained by Soumyadip Modak
> <soumyadip at softhome.net> and sponsored by Jaldhar H. Vyas
> <jaldhar at debian.org>
>
> Jaldhar being the "soul" of debian-in-workers, I think that getting
> the udebs will be easy..:-)

Soumyadip is not going to be available for the next week or so but I can
certainly do this.

>> ttf-devanagari-fonts				install
>
> I'll try to have a closer look at that one, used by Hindi. Devanagari
> is probably the most widely used script so we'll probably need that font.

Yes, as well as Hindi, it is used by Marathi and Sanskrit.

> ...but others also..:-)
>
>> ttf-bangla-fonts				install

That's an old one now replaced by the following package.

>> ttf-bengali-fonts				install
>> ttf-gujarati-fonts				install
>> ttf-kannada-fonts				install
>> ttf-malayalam-fonts				install
>> ttf-oriya-fonts					install
>> ttf-punjabi-fonts				install
>> ttf-tamil-fonts					install
>> ttf-telugu-fonts				install

To cover all the languages of India, you would need all these packages.

Should I make one udeb with a font from each script or 8 different udebs
with one font each.

Debian-installer currently uses unifont doesn't it?  Is this opentype?
If so would it make sense to add Indic glyphs to it?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>