[Debian-l10n-devel] Churro kernel panic

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Wed Apr 18 19:05:31 UTC 2012

Quoting Martin Bagge / brother (brother at bsnet.se):
> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Christian PERRIER wrote:
>
> >Quoting Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog at gmail.com):
> >>Just extracted the following kernel panic from churro. No idea what it
> >>means, but surely it can't be good.
> >

> >Sure. FYI, I'm trying to narrow down hang problems with contacts in
> >Extremadura.
> >
> >They reminded me that  memory problems are probably out of scope
> >because the server has indeed been changed in March during one of the
> >outages it had. Only the hard disk was kept. So, maybe the problem
> >lies with the hard disk....
>
> this was on my STDOUT when I got home today.
> http://paste.debian.net/163697/
>
> doing rsync of /home

(adding Nicolas, Anto and César, our local contacts in Spain)

Logs from smartd seem to confirm something being broken with /dev/sdc:

Apr 18 20:20:06 churro smartd[1332]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], SMART
Prefailure Attribute: 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate changed from 60 to 59

(this is repeated quite often in /var/log/daemon.log)

/var/log/kern.log shows the panic noticed by Martijn at 09:13:46 today

We have a similar panic on March 18th01:06 that resulted in the server
being hanged, until rebooted on March 21st.

/dev/sdc is the disk where local backups are done (mounted as
/mnt/extradisk00). So we can quite easily unmount it and see if that
helps in keeping the server alive more easily.