[Debian-med-packaging] How to use libgtest-dev in packaging projects (Was: ABySS version is out of date)

David Kalnischkies david at kalnischkies.de
Wed Sep 17 08:46:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 08:40:06AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I wonder how this can be done in the packaging process and whether we
> have any example for doing this.

Have a look at /usr/share/doc/libgtest-dev/examples/make/Makefile, it at
least helped me greatly to come up with proper runes to get it working
in apt (test/libapt/makefile). aptitude uses gtest (and -mock), too.
I am sure codesearch.d.n will give you plenty more examples.

It isn't trivial to setup, but being able to run tests is a worthy
enough goal to overcome it. It is something upstream should do though as
requiring your contributors to have gtest already build isn't going to
work longterm (and it ignores the reason why this dance is done at all).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies