[Debian-med-packaging] Git workflow issues (Was: Droping symbols file from staden-io-lib?)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Jul 7 11:55:28 UTC 2015

Hi Charles,

trying to continue with the next step of your worklist:

 3. Register the upstream tarball in the pristine-tar branch directly with
     the pristine-tar command directly.

       pristine-tar ../bedtools_<version>.orig.tar.gz v<version>

It is most probably missing a

   checkout pristine-tar

right?  I did so and tried:

$ pristine-tar ../bedtools_2.24.0.orig.tar.gz v2.24.0
pristine-tar: Unknown subcommand "../bedtools_2.24.0.orig.tar.gz"

Hmmmm, checking pristine-tar manpage and guessing we need to
create a delta, right?  So I tried:

$ pristine-tar gendelta ../bedtools_2.24.0.orig.tar.gz v2.24.0

This creates a file v2.24.0 which contains the delta but has a quite
unusual name compared all the other deltas.  Also the id file that
exists for other versions is missing.

I admit also in this step:  That's quite some manual work for simply
beeing able to forward spelling fixes to an impolite upstream - but I'm
willing to finish this anyway under your friendly guidance.