[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Forking on MMSD

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Thu Apr 15 19:16:02 BST 2021

Hi Chris,
On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 07:30:51AM -0400, Christopher Talbot wrote:
> Hello Guido,
>
> On Thu, 2021-04-15 at 11:10 +0200, Guido Günther wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 02:46:30PM -0400, Chris Talbot wrote:

> > > Thank you for allowing me to keep hosting it there.
> >
> > Great. If you really want to maintain a fork i'd consider renaming to
> > make that obvious (e.g. mm-mmsd) to avoid confusion within distros.
>
> I agree. I am admittedly bad at renaming things, so if you (or anyone
> else on this email distro) have ideas, I am willing to hear it! Right
> now the two I have heard that I like are:
>
> 1) yammsd
> 2) mmsd-ng (or mmsd-tng -> I am Star Trek fan)
> I am thinking I should wait until the weekend to formally change things
> in my repo, as this email chain shook a lot of trees that I did not
> expect it to. While it would be nice if something came out of this
> email chain, I am highly doubtful it will.

If things work out without a fork that would certainly be the best
outcome. If not i'd change the project name as a start and hold off
renaming code and DBus APIs until it is certain a fork is needed. That
way changes can still be folded back in e.g. a couple of weeks should
mmsd upstream come back to live (or transfer maintainership to you and
other interested parties).

Cheers,
 -- Guido