[debian-seattle-social] Crypto Party this Friday! Woo and also Hoo!

Andrew Kane akane at freegeekseattle.org
Mon Aug 19 20:48:25 UTC 2013

Come Crypto-Party with us!

WHEN:   This Friday, August 23, 2013 - 4PM to 6PM

WHERE:  Richmond Beach Library
http://www.kcls.org/richmondbeach/
19601 21st Ave N.W., Shoreline, 98177

WHAT: A quick introduction to email signing and encryption- bring a laptop
and we'll walk you through setting up a key, publishing it and getting it
signed.
A key-signing event- Bring your public key and we'll sign it (and vice
versa). Don't know what that means? We'll show you.

WHY: Because someone is reading your mail?
'Someone' is reading everyone's mail, even if that 'someone' is only a
machine. Even if your actions are entirely above-board, you can be targeted
by law-enforcement for words that occur in your online communications.
People have been arrested (sorry, 'detained') for things they've written in
tweets and on Facebook; intercepted emails have been used as evidence in
investigations and in court.
Encrypted text is not subject to such automatic searches- it's too
expensive to decrypt messages before scanning. Encrypted data is not
suspicious in itself- much of your internet use already occurs over
encrypted connections, and the percentage is increasing. Encryption should
be the norm, not an outlier. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get started
with encrypting your own communications. That's where we come in.

WHO: Just me (koanhead) really. On behalf of and dedicated to (and
hopefully attended by) these:
 Free Geek Seattle: http://freegeekseattle.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
TA3M:
https://wiki.openitp.org/doku.php?id=events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays