[Fusioninventory-user] Windows deploy: problem with msiexec

Kevin Roy kiniou at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 14:30:33 UTC 2014

On 10 February 2014 13:18, Mario Jorge de Sousa Freire <
mario.freire at camara.leg.br> wrote:
> Hi, Fusion users!

Hi Mario,

> We're facing some problems with Windows deploy.
> The first one is related to msi files.
>
> When building the package, GLPI automatically create this command line:
msiexec /qb /i MSI_Wrapper_4_1_50_0.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress
> Then, the GLPI deploy task finish apparently with no error, but software
is NOT installed.

> This problem: 1) Occurs with Windows 7 and Windows XP; 2) Occurs both
with Fusion agent 2.3.1 and 2.3.5.

> Running the generated command manually, the software is well and quickly
installed.
> Also, GLPI/Fusion deploy of other packages is working well (exception for
uninstallations with st6unst.exe, which i will talk about in another
message).

It seems the MSI_Wrapper file you are trying to install is doing weird
things when executed from the FusionInventory agent.
As a reminder, when Fusioninventory do some installation through Deploy, it
simply executes the action command as the System User.
If you want to ensure a good install, you'll have to try the command first
on a local computer as the user running Fusioninventory agent (ie. system) :

- On XP, you can use an Administrator account since it's the same
privileges as the System User running Fusioninventory.

- On Vista and later version of Windows, this System User is not
Administrator due to services isolation introduced since Vista. You'll have
to use PExec in order to acquire the Session0 and test your installation
command.

Now i'm wondering what's the nature of this MSI you are trying to install.
I remember I stumbled upon some MSI installers which embeds some sub MSI
installers and the /quiet option is not transferred to those sub installers.

Another thing that comes to my mind : you are maybe missing the mandatory
"start /wait" needed in order to wait the end of msi installation instead
of doing the installation in background. Without this command prefix, the
msiexec command will return immediately after its execution and your
command will be seen as it succeeded.

--
Kevin 'kiniou' Roy