minicom + /dev/dsp ?

Drew M funkyfinger at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 13 20:46:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

 I’d
like to connect the modem to the speakers + microphone (then redirect that to a
walkie talkie set, transmitted to another speaker + microphone). The idea is an
emergency communication line in case of power failure or god-forbid an internet
blackout.  (with WTC7 and all that mess, this backup line of communication
would help some of us to breath a little easier)

Could anyone point me into the right
direction? I’m new to linux but more than willing to learn.

I was hoping I could redirect minicom to
use /dev/dsp.

Ideally I would like to make this work with
a software modem using half-duplex communication.

I would greatly appreciate any help or
pointers you could provide.

Thanks much!

Drew