Proposal: GNOME Frontend Complement for Minicom

Adam Lackorzynski adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Oct 26 07:31:53 UTC 2010

On Sun Oct 24, 2010 at 14:30:13 -0400, Ruslan Nabioullin wrote:
> In my opinion, Minicom has an extensive set of features unmatched by most
> serial terminal apps. However, only a custom-written ncurses-like TUI is
> available, resulting in the development of "replacements" (e.g., GNOME's
> moserial [1] and GtkTerm [2]). However, these apps lack some features and a
> CLI/TUI interface, the latter of which is very useful in certain contexts
> (e.g., embedded systems).
>
> My proposal is to "revive" Minicom for modern use by introducing a GUI,
> while retaining both the original ncurses-like TUI (in case a GUI is not
> available or the GUI version is not desired by the user) and elements of the
> TUI in the GUI (in particular, the C-A keyboard commands) - similar to the
> approach used in Emacs.
>
> [1] http://live.gnome.org/moserial
> [2] https://fedorahosted.org/gtkterm/
>
> Any ideas/concerns/criticisms?

I'm a bit astonished that 'modern use' requires to have a GUI. A GUI is
nice, no objections but also adds dependencies and basically limits
usage to the local system. I.e. an ascii-only interface is definitely
nice to have, let alone to use it via ssh (agreeing with your
statement).
Said that you're welcome to create a GUI, it definitely enriches minicom
and opens it to a broader user base.

Cheers,
Adam
Adam                 adam at os.inf.tu-dresden.de