[Neurodebian-users] keep multiple neurodebian software versions

marco tettamanti tettamanti.marco at hsr.it
Tue Feb 22 14:46:48 UTC 2011

Dear neurodebian users,
I have been using Debian for serveral years and I was very happy to discover the
neurodebian project a few months ago!

Having all the neuro-software I need in the Debian repositories is of course
very handy, and now that Debian 6.0 has been released, I could finally get the
latest software updates on my server, simply with an apt-get.

However, there is one aspect I am concerned about, where I cannot figure out any
such efficient solution as when I used to install each software manually.

Basically, there are softwares (e.g. mricron/dcm2nii or fsl), for which I very
much want to use the same version to analyze a specific data set, in order to be
sure to keep all relevant processing parameters constant across the experiment.
Under some circumstances, this may require having multiple software versions
installed, in order to benefit from software upgrades for newer experiments but
still be able to use older versions to analyze, modify or review older experiments.

With manual installs, having multiple software versions was rarely a problem.
But with (neuro)debian, I really don't know how to do this. Putting a package on
hold does not really solve the problem.

Thank you and all the best,
Marco

--
Marco Tettamanti, Ph.D.
San Raffaele Scientific Institute
Email: tettamanti.marco at hsr.it

SOSTIENI ANCHE TU LA RICERCA DEL SAN RAFFAELE.
NON C'E' CURA SENZA RICERCA.
Per donazioni: ccp 42437681 intestato a Fondazione Arete' Onlus del San Raffaele.
Per informazioni: tel. 02.2643.4461 - www.sanraffaele.org