[Nut-upsdev] newhidups, who clears ups_status?

Alfred Ganz alfred-ganz+nut at agci.com
Thu Jul 28 04:23:23 UTC 2005

Gentlemee,

I have just encountered a problem with low battery status in newhidups.
Here is the situation:
1) The system goes through the shutdown sequence due to low battery,
   the UPS receives the shutdown.return and shuts off power,
2) After power returns, the UPS turns on power before its battery
   reserves have reached low battery level (a potentially risky
   situation if we get another power failure immediately)
3) The UPS therefore reports low battery status to newhidups for the
   first few cycles (actually maybe just once!),
4) The UPS reaches enough reserves and no longer reports low battery

Question: Looking at process_status_info(), ups_status seems to be used
cumulatively, and alternative states clear each other, but who clears
low battery from ups_status?

I have observed upsc report a status of OL+LB+CHRG on a well charged
battery several times, and I have just accidentally created a short power
interruption for a fully loaded UPS and upsmon went immediately into a
shutdown sequence despite the 100% charge!

Sorry, but I think something is broken, AG

   Alfred Ganz					alfred-ganz at agci.com
   AG Consulting, Inc.				(203) 624-9667
   440 Prospect Street # 11
   New Haven, CT 06511