[Nut-upsdev] more on 2.0.3-pre

Alfred Ganz alfred-ganz+nut at agci.com
Mon Oct 3 21:21:05 UTC 2005

Peter,

As part of my writeability tests, I tried to play with the
beeper.{on|off} commands. I was not able to make them work with the
current apc-hid.c. However, upon further looking around, it seems to
me that the "Back-UPS ES 650" doesn't support the "muted" value for
UPS.AudibleAlarmControl that is in the current table (i.e. "3"), but
it does support the "disabled" value (i.e. "1").

After changing the instant value for the beeper.off instant command
entry from "3" to "1" I am now able to manipulate the ups.beeper.status
with beeper.{on|off} and show the results with upsc.

Do you know if there are APC UPS's that actually support the "muted"
value, or is this just an artifact from the time the apc-hid code was
created (I note that belkin-hid.c indeed also uses a "3")? Since I
don't know the history of this I am reluctant to propose the above
change without further insight from the experts.

Hope this helps, AG

   Alfred Ganz					alfred-ganz at agci.com
   AG Consulting, Inc.				(203) 624-9667
   440 Prospect Street # 11