[Nut-upsdev] more on 2.0.3-pre

Alfred Ganz alfred-ganz+nut at agci.com
Mon Oct 3 22:17:30 UTC 2005

Peter,
	Subject: Re: [Nut-upsdev] more on 2.0.3-pre
	Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 18:44:22 -0300 (ADT)

	No, this in incorrect. The APC supports all three values (I tried this
	with mine).

	Also, the "muted" value can only be set while the UPS beeps. It will
	only last until the UPS would normally stop beeping, and will then
	revert to "enabled". In other words, "muted" is the same as
	"temporarily disabled".

	This must be why you could not set it. Try again while it's beeping,
	and it should work.
That is indeed what happened. I didn't realize that beeper.off intentionally
mutes the beeper, and much less that muting the beeper can only be done
during an alarm state.

	I have configured the beeper.on/off commands to switch between the
	"muted" and "enabled" states, because that seemed to be the most
	backward-compatible thing to do. Ideally, there would be three
	commands, bepper.enable, beeper.disable, and beeper.mute. However,
	this kind of change requires standardization across all drivers, so
	it is not something one should just do in one driver.
I understand your reasoning, and I agree with it. However, it would
sure be nice if there would be a place where this type of things could
be recorded. I am quite sure that I am not the last one to not understand
what happens here.

Thanks for your quick response, AG

   Alfred Ganz					alfred-ganz at agci.com
   AG Consulting, Inc.				(203) 624-9667