[Nut-upsdev] megatec and some changes to cmdvartab and new-names.txt

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Dec 13 21:25:18 CET 2006

Arnaud Quette wrote:

> ok, wrong assertion from (I really don't sleep enough. Still waiting
> for the baby to sleep at night ;-).

As you probably knew from your first child, this tends to improve over
time. Curiously enough, when children reach the age of 16, this tends to
worsen for a while again, until the time has come to leave the nest... ;-)

> The control I've mentioned is in drivers/main.c
>
> 323         /* don't let the user shoot themselves in the foot */
> 324         if (!strcmp(var, "driver")) {
> 325                 if (strcmp(val, progname) != 0)
> 326                         fatalx("Error: UPS [%s] is for driver %s,
> but I'm %s!\n",
> 327                                 confupsname, val, progname);
> 328                 return;
> 329         }
>
> but it's void in your mentioned case, since progname and
> ups.conf->driver will be the same...

In retrospect, the symlinking idea was flawed from the start. Sadly
enough, the only way to make people modify their configuration files, is
to break things (by removing the old drivers). Adding symlinks only
delays this for a couple of revisions, so effectively there is no
benefit at all.

Regards, Arjen