Fwd: [Nut-upsdev] Fun with TrippLite

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue May 9 02:59:26 UTC 2006

Brandon:

excellent, this is all very good and helpful news. So two of the
battery-test instand commands aren't working; that is not a big deal.
I'll leave them enabled anyway; perhaps they will work on another
device.

Brandon Siegel wrote:

> Interestingly, a quick check of "upscmd -l" shows that some commands are
> "unavailable". Not sure if that's intended or what.
>
> test.battery.start.quick - Unavailable
> test.battery.start.deep - Unavailable
> test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test
> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
> shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
> beeper.on - Enable the UPS beeper
> beeper.off - Disable the UPS beeper

No, this only means that the *description* is unavailable. I have
added the missing descriptions, and I have also changed the server so
that it prints "Description unavailable" instead of just "Unavailable"
in the future. That should be clearer.

@Maintainers: in the future, when updating docs/new-names.txt, let's
try to remember to update the canned help messages in data/cmdvartab
at the same time. I have added comments to this effect in both files.

Everything else looks good so far. But before this UPS can be
considered "supported", we need some tests of the shutdown instant
commands (also try killing it via: newhidups -k), as well as some
tests under low battery conditions (most importantly the presence of
the OB and LB flags in ups.status when on battery, low battery,
respectively). I hope you can test this when you get to the UPS.
After all, shutting down on low battery is what UPSs are all about;
the rest of the stuff is just for show.

Also: what is the exact name of your device? I thought it was called
OMNI1000, but you named your logfile onmivs, so I am wondering. It
will be important for the list of "supported devices". The OMNI1000LCD
that I have seen before are apparently similar, but not identical.
Perhaps just a newer release of the same model?

-- Peter