[Nut-upsdev] Fwd: RE New xanto driver for NUT

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Fri May 12 15:15:48 UTC 2006

That's the "megatec" protocol. The appropriate course of action should
be to modify the "megatec" driver to support those models:

  - by adding the battery voltages (*)
  - by adding the bypass commands (the protocol states that if a
command isn't supported, it should be ignored)
  - by making any other changes deemed appropriate (i.e. as generic as possible)

"megatec" just uses "#defines" for now, but that's something that
must/will be changed in the future (relying on the values provided by
the "F" command for UPS identification isn't a good idea, as there it
means adding an entry for each new model - and there are enough models
out there to make this task impossible, and *very* limiting).

On 5/12/06, Andreas Thienemann <andreas at bawue.net> wrote:
> Hello Hans-Peter,
>
> On Fri, 12 May 2006, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
>
> > some googling revealed, you created a driver for the xanto series of
> > online-usv.de. In what state it is currently?
> It is working quite good actually.
> Polling the device information works, I figured out the correct data in
> order to predict the remaining battery time quite well and setting the usv
> to bypass etc. works as well.
>
> > I've to manage a S2000 and would like to use nut for it, is it usable by
> > now? Do you need another tester?
> It is usuable. I only haven't gotten it submitted to the nut people
> because of a lack of time and I'd love to fix up one part of the code
> before.
>
> I am parsing the data from the USV via sscanf. That could be problematic
> if one passes carefully constructed data to the driver.
> I hadn't had the time yet, to fix that as my C knowledge is rather
> limited.
>
> However, the patch to nut is attached and I'd love to hear how it works
> for you. We are using it on two S2000 with one battery pack each.
>
> bye,
>  andreas

Carlos Rodrigues