[Nut-upsdev] Driver for Cyberpower PR2200

russ at cb-1.com russ at cb-1.com
Tue Apr 24 23:45:19 UTC 2007

Quoting russ at cb-1.com:

> Quoting Doug Reynolds <mav at wastegate.net>:
>
>> Russ Romano wrote:
>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to facilitate the further development
>>> of   the "cyberpower" driver to cover my model?  I could probably
>>> work   around it and hack it for myself... but if I'm going to put
>>>  the   energy into fixing it, I'd rather do it in the framework of
>>>  the   overall development so others can have it as well.  Or
>>> perhaps it   is already being addressed by someone else.
>>
>> After looking at the specs for your ups, your ups is more than likely
>> supported by the powerpanel ups driver in smart mode and in contact
>> closure mode with the genericups driver using "upstype =7".
>>
>> Please try the powerpanel driver, if it works, we can list it as a
>> supported device.  If not, perhaps we can help you out.
>
> I tried the powerpanel driver and it does not work.  It says that
> there is no cyberpower text mode UPS found, or something to that effect.
>
> The cyberpower driver certainly communicates to the UPS well enough
> (so it seems to be talking the right protocol) but it mis-interprets
> the data fields being sent back.
>
> For example... The OEM software detects the UPS status as follows:
> utility state : normal
> charger state : bypass
> battery state : normal
> input voltage : 112 volts
> output voltage : 112 volts
> AVR level : normal
> battery capacity : 100 %
> load level : 29 %
> frequency : 60.0 Hz
> temperature : 39 C
> backup time : 34 minute 16 seconds.
>
> NUT using the cyberpower driver reports the status as:
> battery.charge: 000
> driver.name: cyberpower
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS1
> driver.version: 2.0.5
> driver.version.internal: 1.00
> input.frequency: 60.0
> input.voltage: 111
> ups.firmware: 1.100
> ups.load: 064
> ups.mfr: CyberPower
> ups.model: Unknown model - 22
> ups.status: OL
> ups.temperature: 7.0
>
> When I pull the plug to the UPS, the status changes to OB, and the
> input voltage  drops to 000.  So... it accurately detects the OL/OB
> status, the input frequency & line voltage, but reports bogus data for
> battery charge, load and temperature.  This could be as simple as
> decoding what fields mean what in the data sent back to the cyberpower
> driver.  I'd be happy to help with that in any way I can.
>
> Is there a debug mode we can put the cyberpower driver in to log what
> it's sending and receiving to help the process?
>
> Thanks!
> -Russ

One more update.  Moments after sending this email (approximately 3 or
4 minutes after pulling the UPS plug to test the OB/OL status) the UPS
shutdown hard, crashing all attached computers!

Power had been restored... but whatever sequece was initiated when the
power went off, wasn't undone when it came back.  :(

-Russ