[Nut-upsdev] suggested interface for an MGE Galaxy 6000

Bruce Allen ballen at gravity.phys.uwm.edu
Wed Jul 25 16:08:58 UTC 2007

Dear NUT Developers,

My research institute is building a new cluster room, with an 800kVA MGE
Galaxy 6000 UPS system. We will have a couple of thousand Linux nodes that
we want to shutdown with NUT.

I see that the Galaxy 6000 is available with several different interface
options, and that NUT supports (at least) three of these interfaces:

   Comet / Galaxy (Serial) Utalk Serial Card (ref 66060)
   Pulsar / Comet / Galaxy (SNMP) SNMP card (ref 66062)
   Pulsar / Comet / Galaxy (SNMP)SNMP/Web Transverse card (ref 66074)

I have a couple of questions:

Could the NUT developers recommend which of these different interface
options would be the best one for us to try first?

Do you anticipate any problems in scaling to ~ 2000 machines to shut down?

The full load battery run time should be about 6 minutes.  We will
probably configure most machines to start a shut-down cycle if the UPS is
online for more than about 1.5 minutes.

Cheers,
 	Bruce