[Nut-upsdev] Asking hard questions about the NUT architecture

Henning Brauer hb-nut at bsws.de
Sat Jun 2 20:17:16 UTC 2007

* Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> [2007-05-29 17:44]:
> 1. In an era when file systems are normally journaled and hardened so they
> recover clean from power failures, what point is there in having your UPS
> initiate a controlled shutdown N seconds beforehand?

> 3.  Why should we care about 'smart' serial UPSes any more?

I might come as a surprise to you, but:
1) not all the world is i386, ELF, Linux
2) there's more UPSes than your little home boxes. I should throw away
my ~ 25KW worth of serial only, relatively new UPSes, right, For the
record, I have 0 USB ones.

this is hilarous.

you do have a point abourt the config. this is not exactly news tho.

Henning Brauer, hb at bsws.de, henning at openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting - Hamburg & Amsterdam