[Nut-upsdev] Dumb question (because I used to know the answer)

CSO cso at satcharters.com
Thu Mar 15 02:28:25 CET 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 08:13 pm, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On 3/10/07, CSO <cso at satcharters.com> wrote:
> > Installing libtool resolved my problem. Builds just fine now. Imagine
> > that!
> >
> > Thanks, and I have made a note for future reference.
>
> We should probably have a document in the NUT source tree that
> addresses this, too. Any suggestions as to where this should go?
>
> The top-level INSTALL file is more oriented towards people building
> from a tarball, but we have been seeing more and more people who need
> features from the SVN tree, and don't have all the auto* dependencies
> installed.
>
> docs/configure.txt is really just an expanded version of INSTALL, but
> it could be a good place to explain how to generate ./configure from
> SVN.

Interesting question, and I'm not too sure I'm the one to answer it. I do
agree that configure.txt doesn't look like the proper place.

I know that there are two other issues I've gotten into. First is the version
of automake installed on the system, which has been mentioned here in the
past. I also discovered that I needed to install libusb too. I only found
that out when the build failed, but I was able to make enough sense of the
error to know what to do.

Perhaps a hints-n-tips file, or a system prerequisite helper file? Something
generic enough to be the bucket for all kinds of nagging little things folks
run into when building from the tree.

If we try to do something like that, may I suggest we ask others for problems
they experienced as well, and put in that info also? I might have time to put
something together, but it won't be too quick in all liklihood. However I can
start taking suggestions. I will warn you that I am pretty rusty at all this,
so I may not understand everything I read. Never hurts to try though.

Patrick