[Nut-upsdev] Driver for Cyberpower PR2200

Russ Romano russ at cb-1.com
Wed May 2 05:00:55 UTC 2007

> > Well, some free time on my hands would be nice. :-)
> >
> > Seriously, for now I have plenty to work with. I'll let you
> > know when there is something available for testing.
> >
> > Best regards, Arjen
>
> There is one other thing that I thought of this morning that
> I haven't had time to try yet...
>
> The PR2200 has 2 serial ports.  All of the testing so far has
> been through port 1.  Port 2, is a secondary port and can be
> used for monitoring the UPS status, but it can't be used to
> control the UPS.
>
> I will run the basic tests again on this serial port.
> Perhaps one of those unknown registers polled at startup
> declares the serial port being used.

Arjen,

I updated the spreadsheet one more time with data taken from the second
serial port on the PR2200.

http://www.lvahs.com/pr2200.xls

I recaptured the serial port 1 startup sequence to see if the presence
of the second computer on serial port 2 changes anything.  It doesn't.

Then I captured the communication on port two itself.  There was no data
communicated... It looks like it simply uses DTR and RTS to indicate OL
or OB.  The powerpanel software for port 2 simply shows OL/OB and a
countdown timer to show when it will shutdown after seeing an OB status.

The last new sheet shows the sequence on serial port 2 when power is cut
to the UPS, and then restored before it initiated a shutdown.

Lastly, (and I didn't capture anything here because it triggered
shutdowns), I set the primary software running on port 1 to shutdown
after 30 seconds.  On the secondary port, I set the software to shutdown
after 300 seconds.  I was trying to determine if a longer shutdown
period on the secondary system would extend the time before the UPS shut
down.  It didn't.  After 30 seconds, the primary system began to shut
down, and so did the secondary system (basically ignoring the request to
wait 300 seconds).  So essentially the UPS told the secondary computer
to shutdown now.  A short time after the systems shutdown, the UPS
turned itself off.

So, I'm not sure the cyberpower driver needs to cover the secondary port
at all, as this behavior seems consistent with a standard "contact
closure" system.  Thoughts?

Thanks!
-Russ