[Nut-upsdev] Trying to fix "Unsupported combination of battery voltage / nr. of batteries" error

Carlos Rodrigues carlos.efr at mail.telepac.pt
Thu May 3 19:01:36 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Gary van Blerk <gary at cartrack.co.za> wrote:
> I actually think the ups is always spewing this data and it does not care
> for any data you send to it. You do not get any errors when you type any
> characters like B, Q1-Q0, qwerty etc. It all seems to be ignored.

Invalid commands produce no error according to the protocol. Invalid
input should just be echoed back.

> Hmm, tried the entire alphabet, upper and lower case, numbers and symbols
> and it still continues to send out the same data.
>
> Guess the ups is a lot more primitive than I originally thought.

If the UPS ignores everything after a Q1 command, then NUT can't drive
that hardware properly. You get the current status and the machines
connected to it can power themselves off ok, but the UPS will still
drain the battery afterwards and the machines won't come back if the
power returns.

--
Carlos Rodrigues