[Nut-upsdev] UPS

Russ Romano russ at cb-1.com
Thu May 10 18:30:16 UTC 2007

> Hi, I'm using nut and I just had a power failure and my
> computer did not
> use my Belkin ups.  It showed that upsd and upsmon start at boot and
> detect the Belkin but it didn't go to battery backup and just
> shut down.
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Smith

Can you clarify what you mean by "did not use my Belkin ups"?  If the
computer is plugged into the UPS, and the UPS is functioning, then when
the power failed, the computer was running on UPS power.

Did the computer cleanly shutdown or just crash when the power failed?

If it shut down, and didn't crash, then things appear to have worked (at
least to some degree).

Perhaps your UPS has outlets that are just "surge protected" but not
provided with battery backup?  If you're plugged into one of those, the
UPS won't power it when the power fails.  Those outlets are typically
for printers and other non-critical components.

-Russ