[Nut-upsdev] Three scenarios for simplifying NUT configuration on Linux

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed May 30 17:36:40 UTC 2007

Scenario 1: Package-centric

Have the .deb package for NUT install a single-user/single-UPS
configuration, with the .deb asking for the UPS type and dispatching
on that to set up ups.conf for the correct driver. Package
installation could even create a nut user and group, so there wouldn't
even be a security compromise.

I don't know how to do the equivalent with RPM, because RPM doesn't have
a facility for interactive configuration at RPM installation time.

Advantages: No change at all to the existing NUT design.  Handles
serial UPSes.

Disadvantages: User has to type stuff at package installation time.

Scenario 2: HAL-centric

We teach HAL about NUT drivers.  HAL autoconfigures for UPS devices
based on hotplug notifications.  Gnome Power Manager (or KDE
equivalent) replaces upsd and upsmon.

Advantages: Zero configuration.

Disadvantages: Poor support, or more likely no support at all, for
serial and network UPSes.

Scenario 3: Nutless

Somebody (quite likely me) writes a lightweight monitor daemon spawned
by udev rules; it replaces upsd/upsmon in installations from Linux
binary packages.

Advantages: Zero configuration.  No HAL dependency.

Disadvantages: No support for serial and network UPses.

Discuss...

What is a magician but a practicing theorist?
	-- Obi-Wan Kenobi, 'Return of the Jedi'