[Nut-upsdev] Changes to usbhid-ups driver

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Sep 3 21:57:53 UTC 2007

Arjen de Korte wrote:

> > Perhaps we are fixing a problem that nobody is having. I have not seen
> > any report on any of the mailing lists by somebody who actually needed
> > to distinguish devices by serial number, but couldn't.
>
> It would probably only be a problem for devices that don't have their
> serial number in (usb_device *)descriptor.iSerialNumber, but rather in
> "UPS.PowerSummary.iSerialNumber" (like in the belkin-hid subdriver).

The Belkin device gives its serial number in both places. The one in
UPS.PowerSummary.iSerialNumber is strictly for the convenience of
being able to display the serial number with upsc. It's not necessary
for matching.

I realize there is some device Charles has found that has no serial
number in usb_device, but has it in some other place. However, I
haven't heard from any user who actually had two identical such
devices and needed to distinguish them in a way that could not be
achieved with -x bus.

-- Peter