[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups: shutdown testing needed

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Sep 26 07:22:28 UTC 2007

>> So, can you backport the necessary changes?
> You mean backporting the *new* usbhid-ups driver from the trunk and the
> changes to the other USB driver, so that they no longer depend on libhid?

I propose (in addition to the above) to also backport the following changes:

1) Naming change of the 'beeper.(on|off)' to 'beeper.(enable|disable)'
instcmd's, to try to end the confusing naming we had with 'beeper.off'
where it actually behaved like 'beeper.mute' (temporary silenced) instead
of 'beeper.disable' (permanently silenced). The old names still work, but
will additionally log a warning message to the syslog.

2) I have mixed feelings about backporting the liebert-hid subdriver for
the moment. Although it apparently works, it can't shutdown the UPS (there
are no HID commands for it). This is tricky, since it means that we won't
be able to restart the systems connected to this UPS if the power returns
before the batteries are depleted. However, since all subdrivers (except
mge-hid) suffered from a similar behaviour before, this is not really new
(although we should probably warn for this race condition somewhere).

3) 'New' cps-hid subdriver, to unclutter the apc-hid driver. It was
probably not a good idea to use the same driver for two different vendors.
No functional change.

4) The use of wrapper functions around some ioctl() commands that deal
with flushing the I/O buffer and modem control lines. No functional
change.

Since we need to release a -pre version anyway, I propose to include all
these changes so that we're up-to-date in Testing.