[Nut-upsdev] problems reviving and old ups-driver

uwe nut at df3du.mine.nu
Fri Jan 4 17:42:39 UTC 2008

Charles Lepple schrieb:
> The drivers/Makefile.am file lists all of the source files that need
> to be considered for compiling and dependency checking.
>
> Since hp.c is a serial driver, just check for the "serial drivers'
> comment and add a line like the following:
>
> hp_SOURCES = hp.c
>
> If it uses any math library functions, there are several examples
> showing how to add "-lm" to the LD flags.
>
> Eventually, you will want to add it to the SERIAL_DRIVERLIST variable
> so that it is built automatically.
>
> In order to automatically pick up any changes to Makefile.am or the
> other build files, you probably want to pass
> "--enable-maintainer-mode" to ./configure as well as the
> "--with-drivers=hp" flag. You will need recent versions of autoconf
> and automake.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to update this driver! Email the list if
> you have any other questions.

Thanks for the hints, Charles - that did the job.
I did the necessary changes to the drivers and it appears to work fine.
However during my testing I discovered that I need to replace my UPS'
batteries (haven't checked them in a while).
So I have to wait for the replacement batteries to get here before I can
commence testing.
I will need to know, how to submit the driver and what my commitment
would be.

I'll keep you posted. The hp.c driver should work (at least rudimentary)
for a number of older HP ups:

Powertrust models (very old)
A2941A
A2994A
A2996A
A2997A
A2998A
A3589A

Powertrust II LR (old)
A1353A
A1354A
A1356A

Powertrust II MR (old)
A6583A
A6584A
A6585A

All these older units can be used with the upsmond on hp-ux, which has
very limited capabilities, similar to the hp.c driver (basically notify
of a power failure/power return and allow a clean shutdown  after a
configurable time).

Uwe