[Nut-upsdev] REGRESSION: New "megatec" driver does't work for UPS that was managed by old fentonups driver

Michel Bouissou michel-nut at bouissou.net
Mon May 19 14:59:42 UTC 2008

Carlos Rodrigues a écrit :

> Pretty darn weird, I say. But if the 2.2.2 version doesn't work, I can
> try adding that to see if it works.

I have checked and the 2.2.2 version doesn't yet exist as an Ubuntu nor
Debian package, so I will have to build it from sources, which will take
me a little longer (hopefully sometime before the end of the week)...

Another remark about the "Megatec" driver ; I've seen in its manpage
that it allows settings a voltage range to deduce charge percentage for
UPSes that can't tell a percentage (such as mine).

However, the voltage scale varies much depending upon if the UPS is on
AC (charging) on on battery (discharging).

For example, for my UPS:
- on battery, "Full charge" is at 12 V and "critically empty" is at
about 10.5 V.
- on AC, charging, "Fully charged" is at 13.8 V and "Empty" would be at
12 V.

Because of this, we cannot have a single voltage scale that will be
valid both on AC and on battery.

When I had played with the fentonups driver, I had made it "2 scales"
with "on battery" and "on AC" voltage boundaries, that have shown quite
satisfactory to me for a couple of years, and were possibly not
reflecting my UPS charge with a full precision, but at least gave a
quite good approximation, much better than what any "single scale" could
give.

Would it be possible to consider such a thing for the Megatec driver ?

Kind regards.